In order to take advantage of the benefits of Instagram Insights within CreatorIQ, one must link their Instagram account using the Link Accounts Page. This functionality is provided by the Facebook Graph API. Because the Instagram Account must be a business account, and because all Instagram business accounts must be linked to Facebook pages, this process is done using a Facebook account. The Facebook Account user must have Owner, Admin, Analyst or Advertiser level access to the Facebook page which is linked to the Instagram account.
The general flow has the basic steps of sharing a CIQ Link Accounts specific to a creator with someone who has access to
- The Instagram account must provide permissions to use Insights from the Linked Accounts Page
- The Facebook Account user must have Owner, Admin, Analyst or Advertiser level access to the Facebook page which is linked to the Instagram account
- Only Instagram accounts which are business accounts are able to use these features
- Read more onFacebook Help: Convert your personal Instagram profile to a business profile
Feel free to use the following template as an example blurb to send to your creators:
Authentication Notification Draft
You're invited to link your social accounts with “company”. This helps us learn more about your social media metrics and is only shared internally at “company”. Information will never be published externally without your written permission. This does not grant permission to log into your account. This simple step is designed to provide greater transparency and to provide you a simpler experience working with us, saving time from taking screenshots of metrics screens from your apps.
Permissions you are granting:
- Provide clients read-only access to Insights data
- CIQ will never post on your behalf, follow pages, or like content
- Minimize number of screenshots provided to clients
- Reduce need to take a screenshot within a 24-hour time window
- Reduce need to send original photo and video files from stories
Will not do:
- Nor will it post on behalf of your profile
- You can always remove authentication on your account as needed
Steps to Link Instagram Insights Accounts:
- From a creator profile, select the "Link Accounts Page" selection from the Action menu.
- Share this link with the human who will be performing the linking. This person must have Owner, Admin, Analyst or Advertiser level access to the Facebook page which is linked to the Instagram account.
- If the Instagram account is listed on the Link Accounts Page, click the "Connect Business" link under the account. Login to Facebook and the Instagram account should now be linked and you are now done.
- If the Instagram account is not Listed on the Linked Accounts Page, you can add one more accounts you have access to through Facebook. Click on the Instagram icon with the dollar symbol to add an Instagram Business account using the Facebook Graph API.
Note: You can still link creators' accounts with the classic Instagram API by clicking on the Instagram logo without the dollar sign. This simply is used to verify that someone owns an Instagram account which is not a Business account but does not add any additional metrics.
- Select the Instagram accounts you would like to grant Instagram Insights permissions for and you are now done.
- Now the Instagram account will show a linked status on the Linked Accounts Page, and a chain-link icon in the Social Accounts tab indicating that it is connected.
- This account will now show Instagram Video View and Audience metrics.
- If the metrics do now show up right away, you can click the social account action menu to refresh the stats which will pull in that information. (Note: Audience isn't always available for Instagram accounts which which have little or no posting activity in the last 30 days and for accounts smaller than 1,000 followers, although there is no official policy on this from Instagram.)
Have questions? Don’t hesitate to Contact us!